4C, 4 Momma, 4D, 4A, and 4B

4C, 4 Momma, 4D, 4A, and 4B
Most of the Four me (and you) fam

Thursday, May 31, 2012

"Mommy's guide to summer survival," part 5: movie cave

Quick (this post) and dirty (me) today. Gotta grab a shower before 4D wakes up, so I shall dump and run.

During the super hot days of summer, when we've begun to run out of ideas....or....on a day where mommy has not a shred of patience left....we do a MOVIE CAVE!

I'm not really sure how the name came to be, but I suspect it was 4B's doing. They like it super dark like a movie theater...or, you guessed it, like a CAVE. I'm also really not sure why they dig this so bad; I suppose it's the pomp and circumstance of it all. Normally, we just throw a movie in upstairs and grab our own snacks.

Not for movie caves though. Oh no! We go ALL out for movie caves.

Movie caves around here go something like this. I pick a handful of movies and the kids take turns removing one that they don't want to watch until only one is left. Someone complains about what's left? They don't participate. It's happened only one time. ;)

While I fix the snacks, the kids get into jammies, drag their sleeping bags to the basement where it is SUPER cool, and generally get ready. I make a big pot of popcorn, fill up BIG drinks, and create a "tray" for each cherub. The "trays" are just clean, empty bread loaf pans, but they're just the right size, and the kids, even the littles, can carry them down the steps without dumping (most of the time). I fill up their HUGE water bottles with a drink I don't usually serve (e.g., Koolaid or fruit punch or lemonade or the like).
Kids "trays" for movie cave.

The kids then select candy from the candy jar to fill a small bowl. No refills on candy! Each kid also grabs a glowstick from the stash.

Every kid piles his or her items into his or her "tray" and carries it downstairs. While the movie starts, I tape the windows, turn of the lights (so we can enjoy the glowsticks) and make a cuppa. We lounge together and enjoy the cool! Or, I go to the bathroom by myself, eat something while sitting down, or tackle an item or two on my never-ending, ever-growing to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment