4C, 4 Momma, 4D, 4A, and 4B

4C, 4 Momma, 4D, 4A, and 4B
Most of the Four me (and you) fam

Monday, August 1, 2011

Getting dressed checklist for an Aspie

Yesterday's "shopping" spree got me to remembering the whole clothes/getting dressed debacle with 4A back in her hay day of autism.

When she was in first grade, we decided it was finally time to fight with her about getting dressed by herself in the morning. I was pregnant with 4D, had 4B in preschool 4 days a week, and just no longer felt like helping, frankly.

Tried a lot of methods with the help of Dr. Steve, but here's what finally worked. Good old fashioned "beat the timer" with a dry-erase checklist (how she LOVES checking stuff off) and an immediate reinforcer (candy) plus her regular reinforcer (sticker chart). Worked like magic from the second try. (FYI: we weaned out the immediate reinforcer after 3 days.)

I made this with a freebie trial that I had of Boardmaker at the time. I laminated it and clipped it to a clipboard with a dry erase marker attached by string. She navigated the entire list by herself and set the timer by herself as well.

Happy dressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment